Recipe from Aimee Blume
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pounds stewing beef, in 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1 19-ounce can chick peas, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 9-ounce boxes frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
In a large, heavy pot, melt the butter and brown the beef over high heat on all sides, in batches. Remove beef to a plate.
Add more butter if necessary and add the onions, cumin, turmeric and cinnamon. Cook over medium high heat, stirring often, until the onions are soft and golden.
Return the beef to the pot and add the beef broth and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 45 minutes.
Add the prunes, chick peas, lemon juice and brown sugar and simmer for another 20 minutes. Add spinach, and cook five minutes more to heat through. Serve with hot white rice or rice pilaf.